Roleplayers Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Roleplayers Central

A place where writers and roleplayers can hang out, host and join games of various styles and genres, and discuss the many aspects of the RPG universe!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Discussion Archive #2

Go down 
+14
Blossom
Hollow
chad.sims2
Jade DragonSpectre
CommonGoods
Fayte
Slayer
Gloom
Teele
Foxee
Addicted2aa
no_more_skrbblz
A.Mouse
Deathblade
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Addicted2aa
Gamer
Addicted2aa

Male Number of posts : 98
Prestige : 0
Registration date : 2009-03-25

Discussion Archive #2 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussion Archive #2   Discussion Archive #2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 10:04 pm

When did I do that? The only time I remember mentioning it was when Adali met James in the anthology. I think James appearance, like Adali's, should give him away. Notice that when Adali was dancing with Levia, she had to tell him she was Yanthian. There are plenty of Yanthians I didn't notice.

@Gloom
I would imagine there would be regional features that a some one could identify people with.
Back to top Go down
Gloom
Celestial Gamer
Gloom

Female Number of posts : 1886
Prestige : 3
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Archive #2   Discussion Archive #2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 10:10 pm

I just realises how much sense my post didn't make 0_o

but yeah What Addicted said LOL
Back to top Go down
Teele
Admin
Teele

Male Number of posts : 2410
Prestige : 5
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Archive #2   Discussion Archive #2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 10:23 pm

lol! Yeah, not hammering on this one in particular. Yanthians would probably tend to a) take on a more unique look or a hodge-podge of different things b) look like standard-issue travelers and dress very plainly and neutrally or c) blend right in with the culture where they travel most.

And with that, I must go to bed! Night folks. Be on again in probably about 7 hours or so. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://rpcentral.forumotion.net
A.Mouse
Celestial Gamer
A.Mouse

Male Number of posts : 1739
Prestige : 10
Registration date : 2009-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Archive #2   Discussion Archive #2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 11:02 pm

to Addicted2aa:
My mistake. I was confusing Adali with James. Adali makes a lot of comments about Yanthian traditions, but he never actually called anyone out for being Yanthian. My bad.

to whom it may concern:
I still dont see how a Yanthian would be discernible from a Raythian on appearances alone. Regional features? They don't have a region -- they're nomads and wanderers. If they're born and raised in Raytha, they'll look Raythian; if they're born and raised in The Jade Isles, they'll look and speak like an Islander; so forth and so on. There's no such thing as "s/he looks Yanthian" or "s/he talks like a Yanthian." It is understandable that Yanthian 'tribes' (or whatever they're called) may have similar customs, such as Adali's storytelling. But I still don't think they share enough of a common thread for someone to point out a Yanthian in a room full of people. That's all I was trying to say.
Back to top Go down
CommonGoods
Celestial Gamer
CommonGoods

Male Number of posts : 1384
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Archive #2   Discussion Archive #2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 2:34 am

All the social-geographic discussions aside; why the hell is the tavern so empty!

*grabs a sledgehammer to slam everyone back into shape!*
Back to top Go down
Deathblade
Celestial Gamer
Deathblade

Male Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Archive #2   Discussion Archive #2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 4:42 am

I just always thought that Yanthians could tell each other apart, I figured they were like Native Americans who have that keen sixth sense, at least the ones I know talk about it.
Back to top Go down
Foxee
Admin
Foxee

Female Number of posts : 1514
Prestige : 11
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Archive #2   Discussion Archive #2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 4:55 am

Sorry, CG, slow weekend for me. Hubster was home which means a lot less computer time for me. My daughter's home this week so my time will still be a little more limited than usual then I have Easter weekend coming up...when hubster will be home, we're visiting because of the holiday, AND my daughter will be having a birthday.

I'll be on as much as I can, though. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://ginnyshoestrings.wordpress.com/
CommonGoods
Celestial Gamer
CommonGoods

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Archive #2   Discussion Archive #2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 5:10 am

Ok Fox, you are excused.

*swings the sledgehammer a few time* How about the rest of you?
Back to top Go down
Jade DragonSpectre
Celestial Gamer
Jade DragonSpectre

Female Number of posts : 806
Prestige : 8

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Archive #2   Discussion Archive #2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 5:13 am

Well, both of my characters haven't slept properly for almost two weeks so they're not in the mood to eat, drink and be merry in the tavern :p
Back to top Go down
CommonGoods
Celestial Gamer
CommonGoods

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Archive #2   Discussion Archive #2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 5:20 am

*pats the sledgehammer*

Not sure if that counts Jade... I'll leave you to the mercy of the Cookie-goddess, her brave knight or the IFCCoD.

Should bring out the sledgehammer more often Smile It makes people post Razz
Back to top Go down
Jade DragonSpectre
Celestial Gamer
Jade DragonSpectre

Female Number of posts : 806
Prestige : 8

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Archive #2   Discussion Archive #2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 5:25 am

Yeah well it was a busy weekend for me too.. *steals Foxee's excuse*
Back to top Go down
Fayte
Master Gamer
Fayte

Female Number of posts : 722
Prestige : 1
Registration date : 2009-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Archive #2   Discussion Archive #2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 5:34 am

I might have to come up with a new Character. Yes. that's right folk, Fayte is going to go and discover her fate in the sort of great beyond.

An Anthology is coming, an aftermath in Faytes perspective I suppose.
Back to top Go down
Foxee
Admin
Foxee

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Archive #2   Discussion Archive #2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 5:42 am

Jade Dragonspectre wrote:
Well, both of my characters haven't slept properly for almost two weeks so they're not in the mood to eat, drink and be merry in the tavern :p
It seems like your characters aren't alone. I honestly thought that a celebration in the tavern would be fun for everyone to write and be enjoyed by all. Instead, most of the characters seem to be looking at it with irritation. *shrugs* Oh well, tried anyway.
Back to top Go down
Fayte
Master Gamer
Fayte

Female Number of posts : 722
Prestige : 1
Registration date : 2009-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Archive #2   Discussion Archive #2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 6:01 am

Sorry Fayte is going to miss it. Might have to create another character to jump in and dance around!
Back to top Go down
Foxee
Admin
Foxee

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Archive #2   Discussion Archive #2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 6:12 am

forget it. At this point she'd be the only one.
Back to top Go down
Deathblade
Celestial Gamer
Deathblade

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Archive #2   Discussion Archive #2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 8:07 am

Is there a problem if I create a character who happens to be a werewolf?
Back to top Go down
Addicted2aa
Gamer
Addicted2aa

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Archive #2   Discussion Archive #2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 8:27 am

About the tavern being empty, at least three characters heard the knight's story. Definite mood killer there. Adali is still in the tavern common room, he's just passed out at a table.

Sorry to bring back the Yanthian spotting but...
A yanthian who was from Raythia, might look Raythian, but does an African from Ireland look Irish? Ok so that's not really analogous, but you hopefully get the point. Yanthian is a race, so there should be some racial features. Yanthians and Raythian probably interbreed but it's probably not the norm so even the tribes of Yanthians in Raythia might look different, especially to someone with a trained eye. Like for example for the most of the time I can tell the difference between someone from Cali and someone from New England. Admittedly I do it by clothes, hair, and tan, more than facial features. But I can't tell the difference between a Shi'te and a Suni, but they probably can.

Unless, you have a problem with this Teele, I'm going to play it that Adali can recognize most Yanthian from Avarin after a conversation, since he's been all over the country. Having never traveled to the Jade Islands or Gadann he probably won't recognize any Yanthian from there, unless they make it obvious.
Back to top Go down
Deathblade
Celestial Gamer
Deathblade

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Archive #2   Discussion Archive #2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 8:29 am

And I can recognize them because Adali taught me how to recognize them. That's about the best I can come up with, other than having a Yanthian 6th sense, or because I'm a ninja.
Back to top Go down
Teele
Admin
Teele

Male Number of posts : 2410
Prestige : 5
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Archive #2   Discussion Archive #2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 9:08 am

Problem with the logic, addicted; an African is distinct from someone from Ireland because both groups have lived in their respective areas for centuries. A persistent climate and genetics would cause the distinct looks.

Now, the Yanthians are not concentrated in one area, nor are the bound to breed necessarily with one another. As a result, you'd see a very wide range of looks and features. There may be a few general distinctions, but they'd be subtle at best.

That said, I do suppose a trained eye could recognize a fellow Yanthian. Really depends on how much the particular individual stands out. Just as long as your character doesn't spot a Yanthian who looks very much like a Raythian, points a finger and cries out "YANTHIAN!" immediately, it should be fine.

And, DB, I'd like to hold off on the new characters for now if it could be helped. We're already taking an army with us to Raytha.
Back to top Go down
https://rpcentral.forumotion.net
Addicted2aa
Gamer
Addicted2aa

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Archive #2   Discussion Archive #2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 10:01 am

Yeah, the Ireland-African thing was an exaggeration.
DB, I don't think James would need to be trained. It's an experience thing, not a sixth sense. If you grow up in a culture, you notice the little things other people don't. Like a Greek can probably tell if a person is a Turk. I can't tell the difference between the two. So for the purpose of the game, a Raythian should be able to tell, generally, if a person from that region is truly Rayhtian or not. There will be exceptions, based mainly on dress I would imagine, and to make assumptions out loud might be considered rude.
Back to top Go down
A.Mouse
Celestial Gamer
A.Mouse

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Archive #2   Discussion Archive #2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 10:02 am

CommonGoods wrote:
All the social-geographic discussions aside; why the hell is the tavern so empty!

*grabs a sledgehammer to slam everyone back into shape!*

Woah, don't sledge me, bro!

I thought Teele was trying to advance to the next day and get his quest going, so I sent my characters off to bed. When Dane went away, I took that as a queue to start winding things down. And what time is it anyway? With all that's happened, I've been assuming it's night by now. But I know not everyone has been as active, so it may still seem like late afternoon or evening for some.
Back to top Go down
Addicted2aa
Gamer
Addicted2aa

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Archive #2   Discussion Archive #2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 11:11 am

That raises a question. In a post like the one Teele used to send Dane to bed a lot of time passes, but not much action. Could another poster interrupt the flow of that time, with an action, provided it allows for the original outcome? For example,

Post 1
Jake sits down on his yoga mat after an intense session. He begins his thirty minute meditation and when finished gets up to go for his daily run.

Post 2
Jill walks up to Jake while he is meditating. "Jake, I'm a bit rushed today and can't walk rover. Could you take him on your run?"

Post 3
Jake and Rover go for a two mile run, but Rover gets run over by a car. Sad

Would something like that be ok?
Back to top Go down
A.Mouse
Celestial Gamer
A.Mouse

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Archive #2   Discussion Archive #2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 11:50 am

Addicted2aa wrote:
That raises a question. In a post like the one Teele used to send Dane to bed a lot of time passes, but not much action. Could another poster interrupt the flow of that time, with an action, provided it allows for the original outcome?

Yeah. It happens all the time.

So far, all we know is that Dane sat quietly and undisturbed until later in the night when he finally gets up and goes to bed. That doesn't stop us from walking by him, saying hello, delivering drinks to his table, etc, etc, so long as Dane is not disturbed and is still able to go up to his room at the end of the night.

But I would avoid asking him any questions, such as "could you walk the dog," because he cannot reply to them. Basically, his future is set in stone and we must be mindful not to alter it or take advantage of him in the process.
Back to top Go down
Addicted2aa
Gamer
Addicted2aa

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Archive #2   Discussion Archive #2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 12:06 pm

Thanks Mouse. Exactly what I wanted to know. You are a gentleman and a scholar study afro That's a gentleman face right?
Back to top Go down
no_more_skrbblz
Master Gamer
no_more_skrbblz

Male Number of posts : 771
Prestige : 2
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Archive #2   Discussion Archive #2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 12:25 pm

no it's not, but fortunately, Mouse is a competent fellow who knows what you meant by reading the generous text you provided... so does the empty tavern mean that the quest is on hold for days?...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discussion Archive #2   Discussion Archive #2 - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Discussion Archive #2
Page 3 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next