Roleplayers Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Roleplayers Central

A place where writers and roleplayers can hang out, host and join games of various styles and genres, and discuss the many aspects of the RPG universe!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Twist and Shout

Go down 
+5
Foxee
Blossom
CommonGoods
Slayer
FlakeandFins
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
CommonGoods
Celestial Gamer
CommonGoods

Male Number of posts : 1384
Prestige : 3
Registration date : 2009-01-24

Twist and Shout - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twist and Shout   Twist and Shout - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 2:04 pm

“Ice water with a twist of lemon it is,” I say smiling. A moment of hesitation follows, but then I make a brief gesture at my bowler. “If you don’t mind, would you mind watching my hat for just a moment. Hand crafted, Sherman & sons. Don’t want anyone to misplace it, so to speak.” With that, I turn on my heels and walk over to the bar, collecting a fifty from the envelope still in my pocket.

This woman was intriguing, yet it was obvious she was trying to distant herself from me, much to our mutual dislike. I wonder what has happened to this woman that she won’t allow herself to simply seize the moment. But alas, such is the nature of the opposite sex. Who can understand a woman. Not me, that is for sure.

I reach the bar and rap my fingers on the wood to get the bartenders attention, no disrespect intended, but I am very eager to get back to my conversation. I won’t say my physical interest, to use such a phrase, in the woman has disappeared, but even if she had no interest in such contact, she is still very enjoyable company, and I seeing how, with some luck, I will be spending some time here, and how she, with some luck on her behalf, will be hired as a singer, there is a good chance I will be seeing a lot more of her.

The bartender turns to me, and I’m impressed by how the man treats me. I just initiated contact with one of the major criminal empires in this city, an organisation he answers to, and he treats me as if I were any other customer. Now that can mean three things; he doesn’t know, he doesn’t care, or he’s way up there in the food chain.

“Ice water with a twist of lemon for the lady, another single malt for me, pinch of water to bring out the taste.”
Back to top Go down
Blossom
Celestial Gamer
Blossom

Female Number of posts : 865
Prestige : 8

PostSubject: Re: Twist and Shout   Twist and Shout - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 5:16 pm

Listening to other peoples’ conversations is an interesting hobby. If you’re good at it, you pick up on even the subtlest of things and can learn a lot about whoever’s speaking.

Take this Mexican woman, Juana as she introduced herself to her man friend. The way she adjusts her position to face him, studies him for just a fraction too long and casually rearranges her hair shows she’s interested. But she’s also deliberately stopping herself from going any further than flirting, that much is obvious from the way she doesn’t maintain eye contact for any longer than a couple of sentences, doesn’t make any body contact and orders a non-alcoholic drink.

And then, of course, she glances at me a couple of times as though expecting me to enter into the conversation; if she was planning on her flirtation going anywhere her full attention would be on her companion, as if I wasn’t sat there. Exactly the way Mr. Man Friend, Joshua Pastor, is unaware of me or her looks at me. Clearly when I caught his stare earlier I was being paranoid.

Pastor is obviously very interested in Juana, I quickly gauge that much. His eyes rake over her in an all-too-familiar manner, regular smiles flash across his face, the almost immediate declaration of her having stolen his heart, buying her a drink. Yes, he wants her. And he is handsome, I admit to myself. Fuentes might be in trouble if he really decides to pursue her.

But he can probably tell she’s distancing herself. Men usually can, though nine out of ten times they can’t for the life of them understand why. I, on the other hand, can comprehend all too well the kind of bad experiences that can put a woman off more than flirting.

But of course it might be something far simpler than that. Though Pastor is clearly attracted to Juana, on the surface at least he’s as cool as a cucumber. Now, burning fits of passion have never really done much for me but it can be a turn on for some women.

Either way, it’s not really any of my business. But, I consider as I sip my wine, for now it’s the only entertainment I have. I may as well make the most of it.

“You know you could have him if you want to,” I comment casually to Juana. Glancing at her I also add, a little wryly, “Or the rapper, judging by the look-over he gave you. Though I’m not sure how his life-sized Barbie doll would feel about that.”

Last edited by Blossom on Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Foxee
Admin
Foxee

Female Number of posts : 1514
Prestige : 11
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Twist and Shout   Twist and Shout - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 8:54 pm

I chuckle in amused agreement as the doll-like redhead finally speaks up. Perhaps she was shy in the presence of strangers but to judge from her words I don’t think so. Instead she sounds world-weary and I don’t think my initial assessment was wrong. She’s an independent woman much like me.

“I’m not sure that a man interested in that obvious of a woman would interest me,” I refer to the rapper first, “she looks like a very fancy sausage. As for Joshua…”

I trail off a bit, considering, glancing over to where he stands at the bar.

“…I probably could but do I want him?” I do I admit to myself, “Some things are delicious but cause indigestion.”

I give her a companionable smirk.

“I’m sure you’re familiar with the phenomenon.”

She’s much to beautiful not to be.
Back to top Go down
http://ginnyshoestrings.wordpress.com/
Blossom
Celestial Gamer
Blossom

PostSubject: Re: Twist and Shout   Twist and Shout - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 10:33 am

She laughs, my chiming in taken in the spirit in which it was meant. I’m glad. You can never tell with women; they can be so catty and spiteful. Juana seems pleasant enough, however, though she’s quick to make her own dry, and perhaps a little harsh, comment about the rapper’s blonde bombshell. I grin, recognising a kindred streak of independence in the Mexican woman.

“As for Joshua …” her eyes look over to her man friend, still at the bar, “… I probably could, but do I want him?”

Yes, I want to reply, but considering I don’t actually know this woman it might seem a bit presumptuous.

She doesn’t seem to notice my sceptical look, continuing, “Some things are delicious but cause indigestion. I’m sure you’re familiar with the phenomenon.”

I snort lightly. “Yes, that’s certainly one metaphor to use.”

Men are usually more trouble than they’re worth. At least more than they’re worth to me. But then I never have seduced a man for nothing more than personal pleasure. That was usually just a bonus.

My eyes flick briefly over the man at the bar, then I turn back to Juana and can’t resist pointing out, “But sometimes you need to have a taste to be sure.”
Back to top Go down
Foxee
Admin
Foxee

PostSubject: Re: Twist and Shout   Twist and Shout - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 2:00 pm

She assesses Joshua briefly and, I have to think, almost professionally, before turning back to me, “But sometimes you need to have a taste to be sure.”

I have a harder time dragging my eyes from him. ‘Tasty’ is an apt word to apply.

I give a little shrug and a tiny smile, “You have a point there,” I admit, my eyes flicking back to him, “A definite point.” Time to turn the subject a bit, “So what brings you to Avarus?”
Back to top Go down
Blossom
Celestial Gamer
Blossom

PostSubject: Re: Twist and Shout   Twist and Shout - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 4:39 pm

Ah, of all the conversational pleasantries in the world she had to pick the one question I don’t want to answer. Still, acting was a big part of my previous life so it’s easy enough for me to blithely shrug and reply,

“Oh, I just needed a change of scenery.”

I smile convivially at her.

I can’t help but wonder though, how she would react if I was completely candid? I’m running away from the bastard adoptive father who used me as a prostitute, spy and occasional ‘other’ to bring down his business rivals.

Hm, maybe not.

“I hope you won’t be offended if I don’t return the question, given I’ve already heard the answer,” I refer to her conversation with Joshua. “May I ask what kind of styles you sing?”
Back to top Go down
Foxee
Admin
Foxee

PostSubject: Re: Twist and Shout   Twist and Shout - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 9:18 pm

“I grew up singing at home along with my mother who was a nightclub singer in Mexico. Salsa, jazz, classic lounge music mostly, though I can sing other styles including some soft rock, pop, and blues, too.”

I realize this might sound like bragging but she did ask, after all.

“I’m wondering just how long I have to wait until this Trey Russo appears.”

I look toward the door as though he might walk in at any moment even though I have no clue what he looks like. As I turn back my eyes go to Joshua again, catching his eye with a small smile.

Turning back to the other woman I ask, “I’m sorry, so rude, I haven’t introduced myself. Juana Fuentes and you are…?”
Back to top Go down
Blossom
Celestial Gamer
Blossom

PostSubject: Re: Twist and Shout   Twist and Shout - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 5:54 am

“Lucia James.”

I give my real name, rather than the name Alan gave me. It feels strange on my lips, unsurprisingly since I’ve not used it for over ten years. But it will hopefully keep Alan off my trail for a little while.

“Nice to meet you Juana,” I continue with a smile.
Back to top Go down
CommonGoods
Celestial Gamer
CommonGoods

PostSubject: Re: Twist and Shout   Twist and Shout - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 10:21 am

Juana seemed to be enjoying her talk with the short haired woman, and I suppressed a grin, be it only just. The two women had seemed to hit it of quiet nicely, which could only be good for me. I’m not an expert when it comes to women, not at all, but I can read people, and the sly smiles and small gestures told me what they were talking about. Like I said; it could only be good for me.

The barkeeper came back with the drinks, and as I smiled at him as I took a fifty from the envelope in my pocket and handed it to him. “Turn some of that change into whatever that woman,” I gestured at the short haired woman, “is drinking, and keep the rest.” The man nodded and turned back to the rack of bottles.

He came back a few minutes later with a white wine spritzer, not my choice of drink at any time. It took me a bit to find a way to carry the three drinks without spilling the content, but years of experience finally paid off and I walked to the ladies, wondering what the best course of action was. Twice the women, twice the danger. Or twice the fun, depending on the nature of the women. I decided to keep that observation to myself.

I placed the glasses on the table and looked up to the woman as I pushed the glasses towards them. “One single malt whiskey for myself, a water with a twist of lemon for you and,” I turned to the shorthaired woman, “a white wine spritzer for the mysterious stranger.” I grinned as I sat back on the couch, slightly closer to Juana this time.

“You seem to have a gift for making new friends, it seems,” I said to the singer.
Back to top Go down
Foxee
Admin
Foxee

PostSubject: Re: Twist and Shout   Twist and Shout - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 10:56 am

When Joshua returned with more drinks he sat closer than before, not that I minded. It didn't escape my notice that his gaze on Lucia was as frankly admiring as it was when he looked at me. Not a romantic, I thought, more of a player but a classy one.

"Why thank you, Joshua," I replied, lifting the water from its place and smothering a smile against the rim of the glass, "Sometimes I do."

I ignored the thought of some of the hair-pulling screeching brawls I'd been in with various 'friends' when I'd been younger.

"Lucia James," I said, indicating Lucia, "meet my friend Joshua Pastor."
Back to top Go down
Blossom
Celestial Gamer
Blossom

PostSubject: Re: Twist and Shout   Twist and Shout - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 2:35 pm

Soon enough Juana’s man friend returns, and I realise with some cynical amusement that he’s carrying three drinks and one of them is a white wine spritzer to match the drink I just polished off. Well now, isn’t that sweet?

He places his own whiskey on the table and pushes Juana’s drink towards her. Then he turns to me. “A white wine spritzer for the mysterious stranger.”

“How gentlemanly,” I smile, making a mental note to make sure this is my last alcoholic drink of the day.

He’s already turned back to Juana, however, and I wonder if he’s aware that he probably won’t be endearing himself to her by buying another woman a drink.

“Lucia James,”Juana introduces me, “meet my friend Joshua Pastor.”

“A pleasure,” I raise my glass slightly in acknowledgement. “Thank you for the drink.”
Back to top Go down
CommonGoods
Celestial Gamer
CommonGoods

PostSubject: Re: Twist and Shout   Twist and Shout - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 2:51 pm

Winning the hearts and minds. I smile at myself as I sip the single malt, well pleased with the drink; the man added just enough water, and it’s doing a wonderful job bringing out the taste. That said, my mouth is getting a bit sullen. I briefly wonder if they pour coffee here befor I turn my attention back to the ladies.

“You are most welcome, Lucia.” Keep it civil now. You just decided not to pursue Juana, at least until tonight, after she’s sung. Don’t make a fool out of yourself by trying to juggle with two women. Besides, sitting so close to this woman, different things are catching my attention; deliberate movements, pupils dilated as proof of the fact she scanning the entire room, not just the person she is looking at. Small gestures that have come so very familiar in these last few years.

I decide to test my luck. “I hope you don’t mind me asking, but have we met before? You look familiar. And don’t tell me you have one of those faces. If only the world was that kind.” Hold your horses, Joshua.
Back to top Go down
Blossom
Celestial Gamer
Blossom

PostSubject: Re: Twist and Shout   Twist and Shout - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 4:44 am

Maybe I wasn't being paranoid after all.

I resist the urge the glance sharply at him, instead keeping my expression as congenial as possible as I turn to look at him. He certainly is handsome enough and I'm good with faces, so I know he's not one of those that I ... serviced, if that's the word for it ... or one of the men who worked closely with Alan.

But of course Alan has contacts all over the world, so it would be impossible for me to know every man who worked for him. And there is always the possibility of meeting someone so briefly they barely make an impression. But somehow Joshua doesn't seem that type.

"I don't think so," I answer with a smile. "I'm sure I would remember meeting a gentleman such as yourself. And I haven't been in America very long ... unless you've ever had cause to travel across the Atlantic?"
Back to top Go down
Foxee
Admin
Foxee

PostSubject: Re: Twist and Shout   Twist and Shout - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 5:55 am

Joshua’s certainly playing the field. I wonder, if there had been more women in the vicinity, if he would have sprained something. Handsome men can be a pain, especially if charm is combined with it, because they know the effect they can have.

Then again, considering my own track record, I suppose I shouldn’t criticize.

I lean back into the comfortable leather embrace of the couch, as the rain continues to snake down the windows like time itself running down the glass. Placing my drink on the small table at the side of the couch I listen politely to the introductory interchange between the two.

…across the Atlantic.

Now that is interesting. I wonder what brought her here as it didn’t escape my notice that her reasons for being in New Avarus were vague. It seemed deliberately so.
Back to top Go down
CommonGoods
Celestial Gamer
CommonGoods

PostSubject: Re: Twist and Shout   Twist and Shout - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 9:19 am

I smile into my glass. “Cities like Oxford and Paris are reason enough. The only thing about Europe I dread is the ten hour flight to get there.” I liked Europe, but in the end, I was a true patriot; nothing bested the grandeur of the United States. No other country could ever feel like home. But I knew for a fact I hadn’t met this woman there; I kept business and pleasure separated, and the more I heard, the more certain I was this woman had at least something to do with the business. Perhaps I could go find a bum early tomorrow morning, see what they could tell me about Lucia James.

So here I was, sitting between an employee of a possible employer, and a woman that gave me just enough information to make me wary of her. And damn me, both were attractive. The forbidden fruits, so to speak.

“But as much as I love European cities, in all their architectural splendour, I do better business in cities like these. Amor con amor se paga; y lo demas con dinero.” I wink at Juana before I can stop myself, and part of me hopes the double meaning of the saying isn’t lost on her. Then again, how could it.
Back to top Go down
Teele
Admin
Teele

Male Number of posts : 2410
Prestige : 5
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Twist and Shout   Twist and Shout - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 11:11 am

The plane's landing was a little shaky due to the somewhat foul weather that had made its way above New Avarus City. Seeing the city from the air, it seemed to me that it was rather meant to look that way. Framed in gray, and obscured by the haze of falling rain, all of the stories that I heard of it seemed to fit the image I beheld now.

I had been in many worse plane landings than this. And so had my pilot. Of course, working for me, Charles had learned to accept a few hairy situations now and then. Like myself, though, I think he probably enjoyed them. But then, his exorbitant salary was a good enough reason for him to stick with me, as well.

When we had landed and all was well, I unbelted and walked to the cockpit as he was doing the final checks of the instruments.

"Perfect as always, Charles." The brown haired man turned to me with a bit of a smile.

"Thank you, sir. Would you be needing any help with your bags?" I shook my head.

"No, thank you. You're free for tonight as soon as you finish up here." I studied him appraisingly, examining his face and trying to get a glimpse of his mood.

"Mmm..." I hummed thoughtfully. "Black Russian." His smile widened a little bit, knowing my habit well. He knew from experience that my instincts were usually quite accurate. Every cocktail had a time and a place; just as every mood and situation demanded a different cocktail.

I said my farewell to Charles pulled on my trenchcoat and gathered up my suitcase before stepping out into the assault of rain. London hadn't even been this bad. Briefly, I wondered how common this sort of weather was here. I walked into the terminal, withdrawing a kerchief from my inner pocket to wipe the droplets from my face. I ran a hand through my hair, raking it back as I assessed the place. Business was good, with several private planes like mine coming and going.

A girl stood at the desk, and her I gave my full attention, looking her over carefully. Had something of a look of an archetypal secretary. Blonde hair tied back, with a few lighter and darker streaks. Elegant, thin-framed glasses with lovely blue eyes beneath them. A slender frame beneath a white blouse. As good as any, really. He'd have to start getting to know the locals sometime.

He stepped up to the desk with a cheerful smile, and she returned it where before she had looked bored and quite ready to finish the day.

"Good afternoon," I said pleasantly. "I'm here on business, and I'm wondering if you have a pamphlet or listing of the finer hotels." She held the smile, looking me over and seeming to approve.

"Certainly!" She reached down into the nook of her desk and withdrew one for me. I looked through it, picking the finest among them.

"Thank you very much. Also, I've a bit of a dilemma. You see, I'm on my way to a certain high-class establishment here in the city. It's related to the matters of my business. My trouble is, I've no escort to bring..."

- - -

It was a couple hours later when she and I stepped out of the limousine at the entrance to Twist and Shout. A little flashy, perhaps, but my intent here was to show this family that they may be interested in dealing with me. And the way to do that was to let the money show.

My date for tonight was called Sherri, and she had informed me, when my invitation became more than subtle suggestion, that she had nothing to wear. Fortunately, neither did I. I preferred to purchase my suits in the locale in which I found myself. Dragging suit bags around was such a pain.

After a bit of shopping about we had been able to don ourselves appropriately, she in a dark blue velvet dress and I in a white tuxedo. With me, I had my cane, and I would have like to have my gun as well, but no weapons were permitted here. Fair enough. This city had an air of legitimacy on the surface. But one didn't have to scrape far beneath it to now that it was nothing but a flaky, brittle coating.

We stepped into the place, and I was well pleased at the atmosphere. The music was classy, the clientele upscale, and the furniture and colors very inviting. We drew a few looks as we entered. Most everyone was well-dressed, but our attire still caught eyes.

I found a seat for my escort, and went to the bar to order drinks. I got something small and light for myself; I didn't plan to drink too much tonight, if I could help it.

As I spoke with my date, asking her questions about herself and absorbing the information she handed in return, I looked around for the main players here. I wan't entirely interested in starting any business deals tonight. My purpose was simply to make myself known. I noticed one gentleman speaking with a pair of attractive ladies over near the windows...

I almost gave a double-take as my eyes swept one of them more closely. Was that...?

No. What reason did she have to come to Avarus? She would have had work where she came from. But still, as my eyes looked over her again and again, I know it was her. I had studied that face very closely, and my hands had once explored those alluring curves.

I smiled, remembering, and wishing now that perhaps I had come alone. Spending time with Juana would have been simply capital. If the opportunity arose, I might make myself known. If I hadn't already. Thinking, I realized she hadn't sent a reply to my letters. I had sent a final one that had been returned. Our last meeting had begun very pleasurably; but alas had ended badly. I wondered if she had gotten my later apology.

I hoped to find out.
Back to top Go down
https://rpcentral.forumotion.net
Foxee
Admin
Foxee

PostSubject: Re: Twist and Shout   Twist and Shout - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 12:39 pm

“Amor con amor se paga; y lo demas con dinero.”

A charmer indeed, and more clever than subtle but then again I do like men who aren’t afraid to pursue what they want. The only problem is that he is just as likely to want Lucia as he is to want me and I’ve never considered myself to be interchangeable with anyone.

Not even if the men I occasionally enjoy think so.

Stretching out my legs, crossing them at the ankles and leaning back, I’m about to reply when there is motion at the glass doors. Trey Russo, perhaps?

I watch to see a very sumptuously dressed couple enter. Her sunny blonde hair and natural good looks are set off to advantage in the blue velvet dress. Very tasteful, and the way she lays her hand on her white-tuxedoe’d escort’s arm and turns her baby blues adoringly to him indicates possessiveness.

Her escort isn’t a Russo. I know that as soon as I see him. I don’t have to see Trey Russo to know. The reason is, I know this man.

My muscles tense to spring to my feet and my mouth straightens into a line before I remember myself and sink back into the embrace of the couch, my eyes still fixed on the man as he shows his beauty to a seat.

Deuce. Damn him. He has a nerve showing up here.

Yes, right, as though I own the place. I force myself to look away and smile intimately into Joshua’s eyes. I give him my most melting look and place my hand on his arm.

“Amor no respeta ley, ni obedece a rey.” I purr in response, giving a tiny rub on his sleeve before I pull my hand away and lift my drink again.

“You’re a man of languages as well as advice, then, Mr. Pastor?” I ask him a little archly.

It’s better than what my impulses are driving me to do, which is to stride across the room and dump my drink over Deuce’s head. Possibly I would find some other drinks to deposit there, too.

A moment ago I was willing to let Joshua go but I’ve just decided that he’s coming home with me. Sorry, Lucia, but I need him more than you do tonight.
Back to top Go down
Teele
Admin
Teele

PostSubject: Re: Twist and Shout   Twist and Shout - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 1:11 pm

I kept my eyes on my escort when hers found mine, darting them over to Juana when I had a free moment. I had caught a glance from her; one with venom in it. She was still upset, then. And really, she had every right to be. No gentleman abandons his lady without a word. Of course, to lay the term 'gentleman' to my charge was indeed something of a stretch. I acted the part, but truth be told, I was a lecher at heart. A tasteful lecher, but a lecher nonetheless.

I watched with a hint of amusement as she cuddled up to the man she was sitting with. The other woman who talked with the gentleman was attractive in her own right. Pixie-cut red hair and a lovely heart-shaped face. I would have enjoyed being in the position that the man was now. He looked to be the sort I would generally associate with. Like me, it appeared he had money and charms to spare.

Juana was engaged, as was I, and the time I would have would be short. Still, I couldn't resist, and I had to know. I smiled across the table at my date and took her hand in both of mine.

"Would you excuse me just a moment?" She smiled back at me and nodded. Even with half my mind tied behind my back, I had done well with her, and I noticed the touch of disappointment in her. She was enjoying herself. Very much. And, with the addition of further beverages, my first night in Avarus could turn out to be quite pleasant.

I rose from my chair, holding the cane lightly in my hands and rotating it with my fingers. I stepped toward Juana with a bit of a smile and stopped just out of reach from her. One could never be too careful. I nodded at both the short-haired lady, and the gentleman with whom Juana was cuddling, and then turned my gaze to her.

"Well, hello! Fancy seeing you here." I said, still grinning. "I don't suppose you got my letter."
Back to top Go down
Blossom
Celestial Gamer
Blossom

PostSubject: Re: Twist and Shout   Twist and Shout - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 1:22 pm

I smile at Joshua’s reply, though silently I am now going frantically through all the men I know who worked with or for Alan. Chances are, however, that he hasn’t worked directly for Alan but through another contact. Particularly if, as he says, he prefers to do business in America.

But, I realise, if he has, he might make a useful ally. If Alan comes looking for me here, and I have no doubt that he will, who better to lead him a false trail than one of his own employees? Though, if I’m lucky, it won’t have to come to that - I don’t plan on Joshua finding out who I am, but if he does …

If.

I’m saved from having to force an amiable reply by Joshua uttering something in Spanish to Juana. Something charming no doubt, but I have no way of knowing; Alan never wanted me to learn to Spanish, so the language is a mystery to me.

For a moment I think Juana isn’t going to respond - Joshua’s charming attentions towards myself can hardly make the Hispanic woman warm to him - but then her eye fixes on something behind me and she tenses up, position rigid. It’s only a fleeting instant, then she regains her composure and turns back to Joshua … holds no longer barred. I arch an eyebrow slightly as she murmurs something seductively in Spanish, surprised by the sudden change in disposition.

Not that it bothers me or anything. Handsome as he is, I’m too wary to be interested in Joshua. But I am curious.

I look around, wondering what caused Juana’s discomposure, and then I see a pair of intense blue eyes locked on Juana in an all-too-familiar manner. Ah. The rakish look with which the dashing blond watches her clearly says he knows her, and the amusement in his gaze tells me the most likely explanation.

He burned her. No wonder she’s all over Joshua.

And then he’s coming over. Well now, this could be entertaining. Not that I particularly want Juana to be in any discomfit, but I could use the amusement … and also the distraction from Joshua trying to figure out if he knows me.

The blond nods at me and Joshua, but addresses only Juana. Oh yes, he burned her.

I settle back, taking a sip of my drink, looking forward the exchange.
Back to top Go down
Foxee
Admin
Foxee

PostSubject: Re: Twist and Shout   Twist and Shout - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 2:04 pm

"Well, hello! Fancy seeing you here." I said, still grinning. "I don't suppose you got my letter."

Thank God I've had a moment to recover or I would have done something rash. As it is I realize that my feet are tucked back toward the couch, ready to spring me up to standing and possibly bite Deuce.

Instead I look up as though only now noticing him, my hand in mid-caress on Joshua's arm.

"How nice to see you again," I lie with acid-etched sweetness, "and, no, I didn't know you could write."
Back to top Go down
Teele
Admin
Teele

PostSubject: Re: Twist and Shout   Twist and Shout - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 2:17 pm

My grinned widened a little, at the sweetness in her voice belied by the daggers in her eyes. At the way she seemed to purposely move closer to her partner. At the little blade in her words. The voice I remembered quite well, and I remembered the acid in it from other times she had been wroth with me. She had pretended only to just notice my presence, but I had caught her glance earlier. Her fronts therefore had little effect.

"As you well know, I'm full of surprises." I said, winking with the eye that was turned away from the others. Now, with both of us in the company of others was not a good time to work out our differences. I'd find a way to meet with her later. She deserved an explanation...if she could avoid murdering me long enough to listen to it.

I grinned. Much of the time I was with her, I never was quite sure if she would kiss me or slap me. Seemed like she hadn't much changed. If this gentleman was going farther than the night with her, he'd have to be careful.

She and I were similar in that regard. Both quite vulnerable to the charms of the opposite sex.

"I see you're busy making friends, as per usual. Would you care to introduce me?"
Back to top Go down
CommonGoods
Celestial Gamer
CommonGoods

PostSubject: Re: Twist and Shout   Twist and Shout - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 2:21 pm

Juana reacted with a Spanish saying of her own, and I’m ashamed to say I don’t truly gasp its meaning. The odd Spanish phrases I know come from the numerous housekeepers my mother had, and although I know several phrases and their meanings by heart, I claim no mastery over the language. Never the less, her intentions are obvious through her tone and the way she briefly touches him.

Now I would have been pleasantly surprised, honored even, if it hadn’t been for the brief distraction and the look she had shot the man that had just entered. A gentleman by the looks of it, but looks can be deceiving. I should know that more than anyone. Still, I pretend not to notice. Either this woman is truly interested, or she has trouble with this other man. In both cases, she deserved my attention.

“I advice for a living, Juana. As for languages…”

I interrupt myself as the man that caught the lovely Hispanic’s attention approaches us. Oh, he is good. The way he positions himself, acknowledges us with a nod so we can’t feel left out, but only addresses Juana. Definitely a history between those two. Were I any less of a man, I would consider this woman to be more trouble than she was worth. But alas, I am too much of a gentleman. Smiling to myself, I throw a glance at my bowler hat. Sherman and sons. Love that hat.

He comes at her with a snappy remark, she retorts. My, this woman had an acid tongue. Hell has no fury like a woman scorned. This man should know that, as he is obviously not a stranger to woman. And he has a fine taste, if I may say so. Juana, once, the woman staring at his back at the table he was no doubt sitting at. The white tux is a bit over the top though. Then again, I’m one to talk, with my own tux.

“I like to believe a true gentleman introduces himself.” I take a quick sip of my whiskey before sitting up and putting the glass down. “Joshua Pastor.” I offer him a hand, for the sake of being polite. At this point, anyone is a potential client. Or foe. In either way, I would need his name at one time or the other.
Back to top Go down
Foxee
Admin
Foxee

PostSubject: Re: Twist and Shout   Twist and Shout - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 2:33 pm

Before I can introduce the other two, Joshua takes the initiative.

I hadn't missed the fact that Deuce stayed just out of reach. I couldn't even have nailed him decently in the crotch with my size 7 Givenchy shoe unless I threw it. I briefly considered the option and decided introductions would be more civil.

If I knew Deuce he wouldn't be able to stay away from me. And when he showed up like a tomcat to caterwaul his excuses, then I could let him have it with both barrels. Or shoes. Or whatever.

I leaned back into the comfy cushions, suddenly feeling better as the two men introduced themselves. I saw that there was something in both of them...the same damnable thing probably attracted me to both men. I guess I'm a hopeless case.

I shot Lucia an amused glance and shrugged one shoulder, accompanied by a melodramatic eye roll that meant Men. What can ya do?
Back to top Go down
Teele
Admin
Teele

PostSubject: Re: Twist and Shout   Twist and Shout - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 2:45 pm

Before Juana could do so, her choice for the evening took the liberty of introducing himself with an outstretched hand and a comment for me. I gripped his hand with a smile.

"True, sir!" I said. "Though a gentleman should also be inclined to defer to his lady when imposing upon her company."

He sipped at his drink; which looked to me simply to be straight-up. The man, perhaps, was not a connosieur, but he obviously had other virtues. He gave his name, and recognition sparked in my mind. Yes, he definitely had other virtues. I had heard his name before. Though always in connection my slightly shadier dealings. A middleman.

"Pastor. Yes, I believe I've heard a little of you. It is an honor. William Law, at your service. I expect that you, too, are here on business?"
Back to top Go down
Blossom
Celestial Gamer
Blossom

PostSubject: Re: Twist and Shout   Twist and Shout - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 2:46 pm

I lift my glass to hide a smile as Juana makes an acid reply to the suave-looking blond, though the white tux is a little ostentatious. Her biting tone and mocking words confirm my suspicious. Well, Heaven hath no rage

The man surprises me though; rather being put out by Juana’s clearly unwelcoming attitude he looks more amused. He doesn’t press her though. Obviously whatever they have to talk about can be done without almost complete strangers nosily listening in. Shame.

He asks to be introduced, but Joshua takes the initiative, putting his hand out. That’s his prerogative I suppose. But I’m not going to be so quick off the mark.

Behind the two men I catch Juana’s eye. She sends a shrug and an eye roll my way, that clearly says ‘What can you do?’

I smirk and glance pointedly at Joshua and the blond, then look back at her with one arched eyebrow. I can think of a few things, certainly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Twist and Shout   Twist and Shout - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Twist and Shout
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roleplayers Central :: The Games :: Stand-Alone Games :: Archive-
Jump to: