Roleplayers Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Roleplayers Central

A place where writers and roleplayers can hang out, host and join games of various styles and genres, and discuss the many aspects of the RPG universe!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Few, The Epic, The MMORPG's

Go down 
+4
Gloom
Foxee
chad.sims2
CommonGoods
8 posters
AuthorMessage
CommonGoods
Celestial Gamer
CommonGoods

Male Number of posts : 1384
Prestige : 3
Registration date : 2009-01-24

The Few, The Epic, The MMORPG's Empty
PostSubject: The Few, The Epic, The MMORPG's   The Few, The Epic, The MMORPG's Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 3:49 pm

An old saying goes "The King is dead, long live the King". But what if there is no heir?

A few years ago, I started playing, and fell in love with, World of Warcraft, a MassiveMultiplayerOnlineRPG, or MMORPG for short (funny fact; MMORPG has more lettres then short. Meh to the abreviation...). To those of you who play the game; I am talking about pre-battlegrounds here. All player VS player action was done on the map. Druids were still laughed at, as were paladins and shaman's (till they pulled of a windfury crit). I played a shaman in those times, and although life was hard, all was good.

Then blew the winds of change.

I do not know where things went wrong. Perhaps it was the sudden nerf of warriors. Perhaps it was the change in stun mechanics. Perhaps it was the new and bitter way PvP was organised. But whatever it was, the game just fell apart. World PvP, the 20 man raids on the opponents town, just for the kick of it, became extinct. Suddenly, class balance was gone. Everyone was running around in full epic gear, normally only reserved for the few elite.

Then the expansion came and ruined the game. After getting repeatedly 3-shot by a paladin, a class once designed to heal and protect, I just gave up on the game. Ding dong, the King was dead.

But there was hope, still; Warhammer Online. Epic World PvP. Class Balance. Tanks that were actualy usefull outside dungeons. I was in love. As open BETA ended, and the game was available at the retailer, I cheered. I cheered trough the first 32 levels. Then I frowned. Stared. By the time I reached the maximum lvl of 40, I was weeping. There was no class balance. Only stuns and disables. A typical battle consisted out of a hero chqrging, a hero getting stunned, and a hero dying as he got stunned again, and again, and again. I played a rogue in WoW, the class known for their stuns. but in WAR-online, EVERYONE seemed to be a rogue.

So WoW was dead. WAR-online has recently expired (they started out wih 72 servers; there are 9 left). I ask of you, what is a man to do.

Bury the sword, hide the staff. Let no spell be cast. I mourn for the glorious dead.
Back to top Go down
chad.sims2
Celestial Gamer
chad.sims2

Male Number of posts : 1030
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The Few, The Epic, The MMORPG's   The Few, The Epic, The MMORPG's Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 3:54 pm

I'm anti-WoW. Why because I am a RTS fan and WC is one of my favorite series and WoW ruined it! The king is dead... and stay that way! LOL.

But I was a big fan of Ultima Online, because your skills only get better from useing them and their were so many! Swordsmanship, Axmanship, Sheil blocking, parrying, countering, and the list went on for some like 200 skills you used and they got stronger (just like real life)
Back to top Go down
Foxee
Admin
Foxee

Female Number of posts : 1514
Prestige : 11
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: The Few, The Epic, The MMORPG's   The Few, The Epic, The MMORPG's Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 3:55 pm

Quote :
I ask of you, what is a man to do.

Bury the sword, hide the staff. Let no spell be cast. I mourn for the glorious dead.

And come to RC! We have lots of abbreviations of our own!
Back to top Go down
http://ginnyshoestrings.wordpress.com/
chad.sims2
Celestial Gamer
chad.sims2

Male Number of posts : 1030
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The Few, The Epic, The MMORPG's   The Few, The Epic, The MMORPG's Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 3:57 pm

Ohhh like IFCCoD!
Back to top Go down
CommonGoods
Celestial Gamer
CommonGoods

Male Number of posts : 1384

PostSubject: Re: The Few, The Epic, The MMORPG's   The Few, The Epic, The MMORPG's Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 3:59 pm

Well still I'm sad. I'm a huge fan of MMORPG's, but there simply are no good ones around. Damn Mythic and Blizzard to hell! (That said, I did love WC and Diablo... so maybe not all of Blizzard).
Back to top Go down
Gloom
Celestial Gamer
Gloom

Female Number of posts : 1886
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: The Few, The Epic, The MMORPG's   The Few, The Epic, The MMORPG's Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 5:18 pm

there is nothing wrong with Wow. I enjoy the battleground because they offer extra challenges and i like the game in general. I can't say I've played Warhammer though
Back to top Go down
Teele
Admin
Teele

Male Number of posts : 2410
Prestige : 5
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: The Few, The Epic, The MMORPG's   The Few, The Epic, The MMORPG's Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 10:53 pm

Not big on MMOs because they're HUGE time-sinks. I prefer playing browser games now and then, though. I was hooked on Mafia Wars on Facebook for the longest time, and I've recently switched to an RTS-ish browser game called Ikariam. Basically a civ-building game, you get to see things grow without the massive time investment that eventually gets ruined when you find the game breaks down.

Even so, I actually prefer writing on RC. Nothing quite beats actual stories and actual roleplaying. I'm not limited here by graphics, statistics, or game mechanics. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://rpcentral.forumotion.net
Fayte
Master Gamer
Fayte

Female Number of posts : 722
Prestige : 1
Registration date : 2009-01-30

PostSubject: Re: The Few, The Epic, The MMORPG's   The Few, The Epic, The MMORPG's Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 11:54 pm

I like Warcraft.. it's the sort of game you have to be careful with though. I took a sort of break from it a while ago once I hit lvl 80 and now im back playing it but Im not that big on it. I like playing it to relax. there are just insane people that spend 24/7 on it and spend actual money on transferring character.... (which I find ridiculous btw) but oh well. each their own.
Back to top Go down
Shadow Dragon
Master Gamer
Shadow Dragon

Number of posts : 596
Prestige : 0
Registration date : 2009-01-27

PostSubject: Re: The Few, The Epic, The MMORPG's   The Few, The Epic, The MMORPG's Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 12:04 am

The only online rpgs I play are the writing kind on here. Though I love video/computer games in general.
Back to top Go down
Jade DragonSpectre
Celestial Gamer
Jade DragonSpectre

Female Number of posts : 806
Prestige : 8

PostSubject: Re: The Few, The Epic, The MMORPG's   The Few, The Epic, The MMORPG's Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 3:49 am

I used to play Runescape Very Happy *yes, I'm a nerd I know*. My cousin introduced me and got me hooked. That was fuuuun, before they ruined it with all the updates. Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Few, The Epic, The MMORPG's   The Few, The Epic, The MMORPG's Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Few, The Epic, The MMORPG's
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roleplayers Central :: The Lounge :: General Chat-
Jump to: