Roleplayers Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Roleplayers Central

A place where writers and roleplayers can hang out, host and join games of various styles and genres, and discuss the many aspects of the RPG universe!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Favourite Books/ Authors

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike Nemesis
Master Gamer
Mike Nemesis

Male Number of posts : 500
Prestige : 0
Registration date : 2009-02-27

Favourite Books/ Authors Empty
PostSubject: Favourite Books/ Authors   Favourite Books/ Authors Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 9:15 am

I'm surprised that given that this is a writing sight that we haven't got a thread about our fav books yet we have ones discussing films n what not. I'm just nearing the end of a book I accidently stumbled upon on play that had good reviews and I've really enjoyed it.

The Night Angel Triology by Brent Weeks: Way of the Shadows.
I'm just about to finish the first one and I've got the 2nd one in the post at the moment some how I've managed to find myself reading 100 pages in one night despite the fact I have exams or perhaps exactly because I have exams its so much nicer to read for enjoyment than for revision lol. They're fairly substanial books with each been around 600 pages.

It's about a young boy that desires to become an assasin or a wetboy to be more precise. Someone that utilises their talent (magic) to make themselves better at the assasination buisness. It tracks him as it grows and evolves from just his story to encomposing a conflict between the neighbouring kingdoms and the corruption within the city. I'd highly recomend it to anyone that thinks this might be their kind of genre.
Back to top Go down
CommonGoods
Celestial Gamer
CommonGoods

Male Number of posts : 1384
Prestige : 3
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Books/ Authors   Favourite Books/ Authors Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 9:27 am

Two books spring to mind;

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is about a legendary mage named Kvothe, who has retired from his adventurous life and has turned innkeeper. He is visited by a storyteller, who asks him to tell his life story. It is the first of three books.

It's an excelent mix of adventure, culture and magic, and serves a major source of inspiration for the things I write myself. 660 pages of amazing Fantasy.

The second book, The Innocent Mage by Karen Miller, is the type of novel you either love or hate. I myself am a huge fan of fantasy politics, and as such, I really enjoyed it.

The story revolves around Asher, a fisherman who travels to the capital to make himself a fortune. He soon becomes a member of the prince's household, but it slowely becomes obvious that he is meant for even greater things.
Back to top Go down
chad.sims2
Celestial Gamer
chad.sims2

Male Number of posts : 1030
Prestige : 3
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Books/ Authors   Favourite Books/ Authors Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 5:49 pm

I'm horrible with names so I'll list the books,

The Artimus Fowl Series
Battle Field Earth (One of the best books of all time!)
The Hobbit (Better than Lord of the Rings)
The Ring World Series
Castle in the Sky (sequal to Howls Moving Castle, you probably saw the movie. Very Happy)
Dragon Weather
Back to top Go down
Mike Nemesis
Master Gamer
Mike Nemesis

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Books/ Authors   Favourite Books/ Authors Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 6:07 pm

Ah the Artimus Fowl series was really good. Eoin Colfer i think? Strange name lol
His Dark Materials was another really good trilogy I'm tempted to go back and read about it because I read them when I was younger and was unaware of the whole attack on the church theme in it and about growing up and losing innocence.
Back to top Go down
Blossom
Celestial Gamer
Blossom

Female Number of posts : 865
Prestige : 8
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Books/ Authors   Favourite Books/ Authors Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 1:32 pm

Eoin Colfer's a brilliant author.

Authors ... other favourites would be Jennifer Fallon, Trudi Canavan, Terry Prachett, Philip Reeve and Chris Wooding. That's not counting classics like Jane Austen, Shakespeare, Elizabeth Gaskell etc.

Books ... I love the Dalemark Quartet by Diana Wynne Jones, and Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus trilogy. I've read the first of Brent Week's Night Angel trilogy and thoroughly enjoyed that. I also recommend James Clemens, though his books can be a bit graphic, and Kate Elliot's Crown of Stars and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time though they can both be quite hit-and-miss with their characters.
Back to top Go down
Mike Nemesis
Master Gamer
Mike Nemesis

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Books/ Authors   Favourite Books/ Authors Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 2:16 pm

I never read the final book of the Barimaeus trilogy (at least I don't remember and I'm at uni opposed to at home to double check my book collection lol) but they were good it was an interesting writing style using fcopious footnotes in the narrative. I've never come across another writer that does that so far.

As for graphic there was one moment I just had in Shadows edge that I thought was throughly evil and graphic I think it's going to be one of the lines I'll remember in the book. (When Roth meets Logan in the bedchamber with Jenny) don't want to spoil it incase anyone reads it. Infact quite a few Roth moments are memorable as are some of the fights. I do like an author that enjoys the use of the word eviscerated as much as me lol

Utopia and Death Match by Lincoln child are also great books. The first been about an amazing futuristic theme park held to ransom by terrorists (creates some great visual pictures of the park) and Death Match about a futuristic dating agency that finds you the perfect partner with no failure. However after awhile their super couples (100% compatibility) start commiting double suicides and they commision an investigation.
Back to top Go down
Mike Nemesis
Master Gamer
Mike Nemesis

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Books/ Authors   Favourite Books/ Authors Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 9:12 pm

Well I said I'd just read a chapter of my book before I went to sleep which was a big mistake decided there was no way I could put it down and spent from 1:40am to 3:40 am reading it till I'd finally finished up and its taken every urge to only read the blurb for the 3rd in the trilogy and not start straight away.

Going to get some sleep now but just as a follow up on my previous statement the Night Angel Trilogy continues to impress me with the 2nd one becoming even more global and epic and I think two really powerful moments of writing that made you really feel for the characters and I'm fairly heartless when it come's to emotional stuff like that so it must have been good haha.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Books/ Authors   Favourite Books/ Authors Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favourite Books/ Authors
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roleplayers Central :: The Lounge :: General Chat-
Jump to: