Roleplayers Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Roleplayers Central

A place where writers and roleplayers can hang out, host and join games of various styles and genres, and discuss the many aspects of the RPG universe!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Native speakers

Go down 
+3
Teele
Foxee
CommonGoods
7 posters

Are you a native English speaker?
Yes.
Native speakers Vote_lcap92%Native speakers Vote_rcap
 92% [ 12 ]
No.
Native speakers Vote_lcap8%Native speakers Vote_rcap
 8% [ 1 ]
I am from a country where English isn't the main language, but I was raised in English.
Native speakers Vote_lcap0%Native speakers Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13

AuthorMessage
CommonGoods
Celestial Gamer
CommonGoods

Male Number of posts : 1384
Prestige : 3
Registration date : 2009-01-24

Native speakers Empty
PostSubject: Native speakers   Native speakers Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 4:04 am

I was just curious, how many of us are native English speakers? I know both me and iMazed are Dutch, but other then that, I see a lot of American's, the occasional Canadian and Uker, AKA a lot of native speakers.

Just a small addition; I'm jealous of you guys. I am currently studying hard to become a "Near Native Speaker" (IB English A2), but no matter how hard I study, I'll never become a native speaker confused
Back to top Go down
Foxee
Admin
Foxee

Female Number of posts : 1514
Prestige : 11
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Native speakers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Native speakers   Native speakers Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 4:48 am

CG, you really shouldn't be jealous! You are fantastic with your usage of English - much, much better than I can imagine being with another language. Imazed as well really surprised me when I found out she wasn't a native speaker. As far as I'm concerned both of you put me to shame.

If it helps I'll PM you if I consistently see you using a wrong word (usually it's just that the tense doesn't fit the sentence or something small like that) but really you just get applause from here for how fluent you already are.

*adds a large plate of cookies to this thread*
Back to top Go down
http://ginnyshoestrings.wordpress.com/
CommonGoods
Celestial Gamer
CommonGoods

Male Number of posts : 1384
Prestige : 3

Native speakers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Native speakers   Native speakers Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 5:25 am

*grabs one of the cookies*

Not as much jealous about the use of cookies (typo that was simply to funny to correct) ...ehrm, I mean, use of English, but rather the fact I will never reach the Native status Razz Not that I don't enjoy the compliment tho (although I'm pretty sure the whole 'putting you to shame' part is very exaugurated, seeing how you're an excelent writer yourself)

As for the PM, I always welcome such things. it's kind of a grey area; people usualy don't tell me, because they are afraid I'll be offended, and at the same time, I'm afraid to ask Razz
Back to top Go down
Foxee
Admin
Foxee

Female Number of posts : 1514
Prestige : 11
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Native speakers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Native speakers   Native speakers Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 5:29 am

Ha! Well, now that I know I will be fearless. Wink

And thank you for that very nice compliment as well.
Back to top Go down
http://ginnyshoestrings.wordpress.com/
Teele
Admin
Teele

Male Number of posts : 2410
Prestige : 5
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Native speakers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Native speakers   Native speakers Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 6:20 am

Yup, used English from birth, and I wish I would have learned French, too, since we're a 'bilingual' country.

And yup, CG, I was indeed rather surprised to learn that English wasn't your first language! You do very well with it! Better, even than many native speakers I've seen.
Back to top Go down
https://rpcentral.forumotion.net
Mike Nemesis
Master Gamer
Mike Nemesis

Male Number of posts : 500
Prestige : 0
Registration date : 2009-02-27

Native speakers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Native speakers   Native speakers Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 6:42 am

Yep I'm going to have to agree with everyone else I would never have guessed English wasn't your first language.
Back to top Go down
Addicted2aa
Gamer
Addicted2aa

Male Number of posts : 98
Prestige : 0
Registration date : 2009-03-25

Native speakers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Native speakers   Native speakers Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 9:31 am

One more voice to the chorus. I don't know about how well you speak English, but you write better than many of the people I go to college with. No joke.
Back to top Go down
Jade DragonSpectre
Celestial Gamer
Jade DragonSpectre

Female Number of posts : 806
Prestige : 8

Native speakers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Native speakers   Native speakers Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 9:39 am

Yes, I am, believe it or not haha.
Back to top Go down
Blossom
Celestial Gamer
Blossom

Female Number of posts : 865
Prestige : 8

Native speakers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Native speakers   Native speakers Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 9:59 am

Another native speaker here! I think I do somewhat understand what you mean, CG, as I feel a bit that way about speaking French (though I don't speak French half so fluently as you speak English.) But honestly you speak the language so fluently no one would know you weren't a native speaker.

Honestly, some of the things I see/hear actual native speakers come out with makes me despair at times. So really, I think there's something to be said about learning a language as a second tongue - you spend more time consciously learning the rules of grammar, spelling and punctuation and often end up speaking the language far better for it. So I really wouldn't worry Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Native speakers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Native speakers   Native speakers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Native speakers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roleplayers Central :: The Lounge :: General Chat-
Jump to: