Roleplayers Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Roleplayers Central

A place where writers and roleplayers can hang out, host and join games of various styles and genres, and discuss the many aspects of the RPG universe!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Terry Pratchett films

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
iMazed
Super Gamer
iMazed

Female Number of posts : 319
Prestige : 0
Registration date : 2009-01-29

Terry Pratchett films Empty
PostSubject: Terry Pratchett films   Terry Pratchett films Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 3:06 pm

While watching this with my friend, I felt I had to tell you about this. Not many people seem to know that there have actually been films made after the books of Terry Pratchett. That's right. Not just one, but two Terry Pratchett films. As far as I know.

The first is called The Colour Of Magic. Starring Rincewind and Twoflower (those of you that know the T.P. books will recognise the names), taking off in the beautiful Ank'Morpork and going around the whole Discworld.

Second is The Hogfather. Also setting off in Ank'Morkpork, t'is The Night Before Hogwatch (this is similar to our Christmas, as some of you may know) and the granddaughter of Death himself will face some serious trouble.

Have you seen them? And if yes, what were your thoughts on these movies? Myself and my friend thought they were absolutely amazing. Even though, after reading his books, I thought the Terry Pratchett books were not filmable. However, it has been done in such a way no-one could discuss the awesomeness of it.

Your thoughts please Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.booksie.com/imazed
Blossom
Celestial Gamer
Blossom

Female Number of posts : 865
Prestige : 8
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Terry Pratchett films   Terry Pratchett films Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 4:10 pm

The Hogfather was actually done before The Colour of Magic .... just FYI Wink

I have seen them, and I thought they were good but I wouldn't go so far as to say they were amazing. I think the Hogfather was far better than the Colour of Magic, if only because the book is somewhat better written and has a more coherent plotline. Also, the Colour of Magic is an amalgamation of the Colour of Magic and the Light Fantastic so it was condensed and whatnot.

I think the main problem with them is that so much of what makes the Discworld books great is the humour of the narration and the asides from the author to the reader about the world, which just cannot be translated onto the screen. You can't film a style of writing, unfortunately, and while the characters are brilliant in their own right and the scripts of the films are well adapted, for me a lot of what makes Discworld so funny is lost.

I also felt that with the Colour of Magic, David Jason, as excellent an actor as he is, was miscast as Rincewind. He was far better suited to playing Albert - or Alfred? Death's cook-person-who's-actually-a-famous-wizard-whose-name-I-can't-remember anyway - in the Hogfather. Rincewind, in my mind, is taller, skinner and far more weasel-like and completely cowardly than David Jason portrayed him. So that did somewhat mar the adaption for me.

However I thought that visually they were excellent, and that they tried very hard to stay true to the spirit of the books so full points there. I just don't think Discworld can ever truly be done justice to on the screen.
Back to top Go down
CDRW
Advanced Gamer
CDRW

Male Number of posts : 142
Prestige : 0
Registration date : 2009-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Terry Pratchett films   Terry Pratchett films Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 4:45 pm

I've never seen either one, but I did see the animated version of Soul Music. It was pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
http://nameofcuriosity.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Terry Pratchett films   Terry Pratchett films Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Terry Pratchett films
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roleplayers Central :: The Lounge :: General Chat-
Jump to: